Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Knivesforme: I did not want to allude to my own shortcomings but I think I might as well fess up.
This particular Rattler struck at me just as I saw it and once I came down from the sky I was full of adrenaline (or Buck Fever jitters.
I do recall taking careful aim for each shot and missing each shot - I think I was adrenaline jerking the trigger (only excuse I can come up with)?
And I qualified Distinguished Expert numerous times during my LEO career - of course NO Rattlesnakes were striking at me during those qualifications!
I now carry shot loads in my various tag along in snake country revolvers.
You did not (or maybe you care not to!) mention how many shots you took that day?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My friend Ive been right there! Three or four years ago I was helping a mid 80's friend that flew in Korean War, they have a second home up here on river and something ,lightning had killed a tree in front of house , driveway, I took an 89' Husky saw and dropped the tree and had a 7600 ford tractor to drag it off in woods, pulled it off into wood as far as I could and backed tractor up to have slack and unhook chain, 2 steps and no one had to tell me what I had stepped in, I do not know how I jumped so high nor fast, I hollered at the old man 40 yards away to grab my pistol out of drivers door in my pickup truck,a Belgium made Browning Hi Power Ive had well over 35 years and thought I could shoot! LMAO on shot 8 or 9 out of 13 I got the head!!!! LORD was I shaking like a leaf!!! 17 rattlers and a button, I had never seen that many on a timber rattler, It was as long as a case mini trapper, I sent rattlers to Tallahassee Fl with my wife to give to FWC Biologist and they tried to say the things were endangered! BS, I have a photo of rattlers I will post up, Folks buy them around here so usually Im good on a head shot in one or two shots! Not when you step on one!!!!! No one has to tell you what just happened, you just know and that flight stuff hits! This old man used to watch me crop dust and could not believe how shook I was ! I know what you guys are speaking of!! very best winpoor