Originally Posted by leomort
Hello everyone,

I'm debating whether to build my 1st custom rifle. I'll put upfront that I'm left handed so that limits some of the custom action options.

I mostly shoot paper so it's more of range rifle but I also was want to keeping my options open if I wanted to use my first custom rig also as big game rifle. Is it possible to build a dual purpose custom without too much compromise?

Here's some of my rambling thoughts. Please let me know if I'm way off base here.

Action: Still Predator S/A 308Win (left handed)
Barrel: Krieger in Remington Varmint Contour, 26" 1:10 twist
Stock: McMillan Sako/Hunter ( monte carlo stock seem to fit me better)
Scope: Undetermined. Probably put a Leupold scope that I have on hand for now. (Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x40mm, FXIII 6x42)

My second thought (yes I'm jumping around) is that since I'm mostly just shooting paper and fun range gun, build a nice left handed 223rem for what I am doing right now.
Action: Stiller S/A 223rem (left handed)
Barrel: Krieger #2 or #3 contour with 1:8 twist
Stock: McMillan Sako/Hunter.

Appreciate your feedback. Please by candid. This is a lot of $$$ to me, so don't want to [bleep] this build up. Rather have you be brutally honest than go down the wrong rode and mess up a custom build.

You have been given a lot of advice, some good and IMO some not so good. Threads like these invariably bring out responses of what folks would like to build for themselves.

First of all you need to define "big game". If big game is deer then you are just fine with the 223 idea. I can guarantee that you will shoot a 223 much more than a 308, you will also enjoy shooting it much more than a 308, and you will save some money in powder and bullet costs.
If deer is to be your big game and you go with the 223 I disagree with the fast twist/heavy for caliber bullets. It is a fact that the slower twists, even 1-12 stablilize a 55 gr very well and give the best accuracy, if you have any doubts about this take a look at what the benchrest boys shoot for twists. In order to kill a deer a premium 55 gr bullet will do just fine (take a look at some of Ingwe's posts).

Why not build a custom in a caliber that you will enjoy shooting, shoot a lot and if you should decide to hunt big game (larger than deer) buy an appropriate caliber off the shelf rifle for that endeavor. Especially since you have stated that you are mostly just shooting paper and a fun range gun.

Just my opinion like everyone else who has posted but I do enjoy the small calibers and of them for what you mentioned it seems that a 223 would fill the bill.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.