Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Great photograph!

However, I found the following part of the accompanying story very interesting:

"Kathy Moran, a member of the jury for the contest, called it 'one of the strongest single storytelling photographs I have ever seen.' Moran, senior editor for natural history projects at National Geographic, added in a statement, 'The immediate impact of this photograph is that it appears as if the red fox is slipping out of its winter coat. What might simply be a straightforward interaction between predator and prey struck the jury as a stark example of climate change, with red foxes encroaching on Arctic fox territory.'"

I have a number of reference books on wildlife, and even the oldest ones show red foxes ranging all over almost all of Canada except for the Arctic islands. These references were published long before "climate change" became a buzz-phrase, and I find it interesting the "senior editor for natural history projects at National Geographic" somehow thinks warmer temperatures have allowed red foxes to move into northern Manitoba. In fact, the range of red and Arctic foxes has overlapped considerably ever since such reference books have been published.

I didn't see that part, thanks for sharing mule deer.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"