Nice capture on that photo. I'd agree that red fox are quite adept at dealing with civilization. I saw one about 4 blocks from the White House one evening when visiting DC several years ago.

Also, a distant friend that worked the now closed Duboise Sheep Station (Idaho) said the reds were more of an issue during lambing than any other predator. They would venture right into tended pens to grab breakfast and explore near any building with a door left open. First person entering a building might have one scoot between his legs early in the morning. Always made for a few exciting seconds in the dark.

Given they've been farmed around the nation for some time, I'm sure the genetics are a bit screwed up and believe our local animals probably sourced from farms about 100 miles downstream on the Oregon/Idaho border.

The reds appeared to make inroads locally about 15 years ago, and we have a pair pup in our stack yard (hay) on about a 2-year schedule. Pretty much a non issue around cattle. Sheep guy down the road, however, not too fond of them.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 10/21/15.

1Minute