Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
41, I enjoy hunting forest grouse, I grew up doing that.. But now I am hooked on birds of the open country: ringnecks, huns, sharptails, chukar, and sage grouse.. My main reason is I enjoy watching my dogs work, and that is so much easier on the plains.. Second at my age hearing a bird flush is about a thing of the past..

Ah yes sir, a day spent in the field with a dog with or with ought shooting is fun.

Back in my home covers in Pennsylvania I'd only shoot 7 ruffs a year and go out with snap caps after that. I quit killing them in late season years before i started the 7 thingy. I'm not old by any means I'll be 42 next week, but as I aged and had my seasons of bragging in my youth, I look at grouse hunting differently. Ever since I started reading all of George Byrd Evans books and one by William Hardin Foster it changed me for the bette, I think anyhow. the wife came down with something nasty and I'm staying home and taking care of her all morning thus far. She is trying to push me out now though. It's nice and calm today, so I might get out in a little while. Sage did flush a rooster on this mornings potty walk in adjacent field to the house. I took her and our Rottweiler Aiden for their morning stroll and came back been indoors ever since.

Maybe someday I'll get to Wyoming to try the spruce and blue hunting, along with the others and will have to share a log or the pick ups tailgate for a coffee and sandwiche. And if we're lucky breathe in some freshly burnt gunpowder with that clean wyoming mountain air. Happy trails

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"