I don't really know the difference between a drat. and a griff., regardless my family had one that looked like the pictures above, about 35 years ago. Unbeliveable dog, in all ways. For pheasants no equal. Only problem the dog was too smart for its own good and was meaner than hell. Loved the family, strangers not so much. Tried to kill the paper boy, the cleaners, the mail man, anyone else who happened to knock on the door. Dog would hunt everything, rabbits, would retrieve ducks, squirls, wood chucks, house cats, and deer if you let it. Hard headed yes. Our dog, a female about 55 pounds, was one bad ass, and would try to kill everything it could, unfortunately other dogs too, would fight with dogs much bigger than her and mostly win before we would break them up.
It was a certified house cat exterminator and had that down to an art. Big ones, small ones, what ever, if a cat got in our fenced in yard it was over, she would rush in through the claws and grab the neck and a few shakes, it was over. She would scrap with some big tom barn cats and I'll tell you it was no contest. You could not have a dog like this anymore, too much liability. A good shock collar would have gone a long way, except they were not around then.

Although I have heard the breed has softened quite a bit since then, these dogs seem to be similar to Chessies, when they are good they are incredible, but can be frought with issues.

Ours nevers smelled, except when she got wet and had that great "wet gun dog smell".

Some day when I have more time, I intend to get one for grouse hunting and maybe a few ducks.

Good Luck.