Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Originally Posted by luv2safari
They're a typical German breed...hard-headed but not difficult to train, and they are a reasonably intelligent breed.

Griffs are NOT a German breed, they're Dutch. The best Griff couldn't compare to the worst Drathaar.

BULLSCHIDT!

The breeder was a Dutchman who developed the breed over a twenty year period in GERMANY! They were further developed as a breed in Germany, France and The Netherlands.

I've had Drats, also, and they were no better or worse than the Griffons.

Safariman
Eduard Korthals was Dutch and while I'm fully aware he had a kennel in Germany for 20 years you'll get VERY few Germans to agree or acknowledge that a Griffon is a German pointing breed.

I've ran Deutsch Kurzhaars and Drathaars in German hunt tests over the years and have witnessed many more in multiple states. I have never seen a Griffon entered in a German hunt test.

I've seen and judged Griffons in NAVHDA and AKC hunting tests. From my observations of the breed they are not a "typical" German pointing breed. IMO most Griffs lack drive and style and have softer temperaments compared to several of the German pointing breeds, especially in comparrison to most lines of Kurzhaars, Drathaars and Pudelpointers.

To me Griffs are a perfect breed for older folks who aren't hard hunters, dont care much about style, and don't demand much from a dog. Some folks like VW Beetles and some prefer Porsches. I prefer the latter.

In any case, my condolences to you for the loss of your dog.

Ive participated in NAVHDA trials over 20 years on east coast, MD, PA, VA and now here out west in ID, OR, WA.

Ive noticed the griffs bred and hunted out west have very good drive, are methodic but do range farther and are very energetic. Not many breeds can climb up steep rocky terrain and range out to 50 to 100 yds on chukar , huns the later in the day point and retrive rabbits, work close for quail in the tall sage brush and break ice retrieving ducks and make a good house dog companion.

Not much of a style guy, I just want my dog well socialized with other dogs, animals, people, obedient and driven. Pretty happy with griffs. Does everything i ask of her

good looking pup safari

Last edited by ribka; 11/23/15.