Thanks for your reply.

Sadie and my late father's griffons would work you to your knees chuckar hunting. They were steady and bullet-proof. In a day's time they would get you far more chuckar, and we're talking wild NV birds, not the soft preserve kind, than any other breed but a German Shorthair, which I hold is the best all around upland dog for rough country.

Dad's dogs were famous for their noses and bird sense and their overall strength. The breed isn't what it once was, however. We got our original dogs from old Col. Stodtmeister out of Germany, and they were TOUGH!!

But, like many breeds, a lot have been bred to be easy to handle first, and tenacious second. I could actually care less about style. I want bird producers. wink

Invariably, the "style" dogs shoot their wad far too early to be decent chuckar dogs. They wear off their pads and collapse about mid-day. A good griffon will still be chugging along at a good pace, working his heart out for you.

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/19/15.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”