I don't know- guess because I am a 22 year Ret'd NCO- and like the .30-Gov't-06 stampings on my 1935 M54 SuperGrade and also my 1941 Std. Grade Model 70's-- The .30-40 Krag was most likely marked .30 Gov. or .30 Gov't. when it was adopted by the US Army Ordance board- and when they "borrowed" from Peter und Paul Mauser their great 98 bolt action design for our 1903 Springfield- first .30 Gov. would have been for the .30-03 round, later phased pout by the std. .30-o6 we still have today. My 1895 Sporter is 90 to 95% mint- wood is "proud of the steel" and the stamping has NOT been blurred by some jackleg "gunsmith" prior to a reblueing- and it is the older slow rust deep blue impossible to duplicate 100% correctly today-- Even Doug Turnbull would tell you that. So, before we drop Fjestad's price range "down the dumper" how about if I sent you the clear fotos I have of this fine older WRA lever rifle, and then you can judge for yourself? Just give me an e-mail address where I can send them-Thanks

"I have clinched and closed with the naked North, I've learned to defy and defend!"