Originally Posted by Pugslie
I don't know- guess because I am a 22 year Ret'd NCO- and like the .30-Gov't-06 stampings on my 1935 M54 SuperGrade and also my 1941 Std. Grade Model 70's-- The .30-40 Krag was most likely marked .30 Gov. or .30 Gov't. when it was adopted by the US Army Ordance board- and when they "borrowed" from Peter und Paul Mauser their great 98 bolt action design for our 1903 Springfield- first .30 Gov. would have been for the .30-03 round, later phased pout by the std. .30-o6 we still have today. My 1895 Sporter is 90 to 95% mint- wood is "proud of the steel" and the stamping has NOT been blurred by some jackleg "gunsmith" prior to a reblueing- and it is the older slow rust deep blue impossible to duplicate 100% correctly today-- Even Doug Turnbull would tell you that. So, before we drop Fjestad's price range "down the dumper" how about if I sent you the clear fotos I have of this fine older WRA lever rifle, and then you can judge for yourself? Just give me an e-mail address where I can send them-Thanks

Geez...... Not punking on your Compadre. You asked a question and I was simply showing you an example. Wasnt trying to ruffle feathers.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS