What I mean is a non slip bobber. Clip on bobbers that lock onto the line rather than a bobber that allows the line to slip through and uses a "bobber stop" either of the string knot style or the rubber grip bead style.

We also just use jig heads, I guess we use quite a variety but they all are considered jig style hooks. My oldest boy fishes with electronics, uses some flying lures tipped with a minnow head. He does really well with it.

We now use all slip bobbers with short fishing rods that have small spinning reels with drags.

The slip bobber allows the line to be dawn through it and collected on the spinning reel. The "Bobber stop" passes through the rod eyelets no problem and is wound up with the fishing line on the spool.

when you let the line back out, the bobber stop will not pass through the slip bobber, the "stop" grips the fishing line and stops the line at the bobber. The lure is then suspends off the bottom at the depth you choose with the bobber stop.

We typically fish 3 to 12 inches off the bottom for walleye.

The old black and white photo above is how we used to do it. No fishing reel. It's hand line fishing, he's just using the stick to jig the line.

I have no idea what his landing net is for though, lol.

Net wont fit down that hole and it's kind of pointless once you have the fish above the ice. grin

Something clever here.