I just broke out my auger for the first time in 5 years since I moved out here. I sure miss me some ice fishing! we've had a cold enough winter that we actually have 6" of ice from the reports I've heard. I plan on going out a day here this weekend and see about getting me some crappies through the ice. I made the mistake of giving away all my short rods when I figured I wasn't going to get on hard water ever again. So last weekend I swung through Scheels and picked up 4 new rods (13.99 each) they came with reels and everything! couple cheap rattle reels that clip to a bucket and I was set. I made me some "airplane" tipups with the kids a cold day a week or so back so when I bring the family out we all can fish. out here we can use 4 lines a piece and I figure on doing just that!

I had much work to do on the auger from rebuilding the rewind to retapping a bolt hole that got buggered years ago and replacing with the correct bolt and put new gas in. Just when I thought I had it perfect I pulled and pulled and nothing was happening. I checked the fuel line, it was good. So I pulled some more, choked it, then moved it to half way after a few pulls and nothing. I was getting frustrated thinking the spark plug was bad until I looked at the on off switch and somehow I must have flipped it off. I put it back to on and with one pull she sprang to life. I gave her a little reving and she was humming along like a tune. I threw the auger bottom back on it and watched it spin a few times to make sure all was well. now I just need to break away from work long enough to get out on the ice. anyone have any tips for fishing small deep water reservoirs for crappies?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.