Yesterday I was shooting at an 8-point. I watched him coming from about 150 yards and pulled the trigger on him at about 50 yards. Nothing happened so I pulled my eye away from the scope to look at the safety. As soon as I noticed the safety was on "F" the gun went "bang." Naturally, I missed.

I dry-fired a couple of times and noticed a faint "click" and then a heavier "click." So I came home, disassembled the bolt, cleaned it, lubed it lightly, and reassembled it. The double "click" was gone. Today I fired it, and the first shot hit dead center at 50 yards, with no hesitation. So, I'm ready for tomorrow.

I was shooting handloads, and I've been a handloader for almost 50 years. I've had a few duds in the past (all from the same set of primers). I don't think this hang-fire was because of my handloads, although everything I look up on this subject tends to blame primers. I think it was because the firing pin just didn't release as normal.

What say you? Thanks.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt