Originally Posted by jnyork
Sounds like the firing pin was gunked up, this can happen after years of no cleaning, oil can exacerbate the problem as it gathers dust and grit over time. If you use WD-40 you can just expect it as the stuff solidifies like varnish given enough time.

I expected to see rust, or caked-up gunk, but it was much cleaner than I expected. That's actually why I'm asking the question. Before I wiped what little gunk was on the pin I noticed a shiny spot on the side, so I'm guessing there was a little stress put on one side, maybe causing drag. Once the season is over I'll be paying a visit to my gunsmith. Seems to me it might be a good idea to polish the pin and the hole to prevent any drag and give you a slightly faster lock-time. But then, what do I know?

The only lube inside a bolt should be something that doesn't gel or dry out,, like break-free, and it doesn't need much. I'd recommend nothing on the spring.

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt