Originally Posted by toltecgriz
5.7 engine won't start unless accelerator is fully depressed, dies if you let rpms get low. If you can keep it running for a couple of minutes (2 to 3k rpm) you can get it into gear at about 1k and it drives semi-normal, then eventually it will idle in park at 1k or so.
If you shut it off, it starts the same problem all over.
The shop can't take it until Tuesday.
Background 160,000 miles and did a 180 mile highway trip without incident the day before this happened. Started normal that morning, then drove to a strip mall. After sitting for 30 minutes the trouble began.
Any ideas besides injector or pump?
The truck has been nearly trouble free for 16 years.

These trucks have fuel pump problems. I'd run it with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. Run it down the road and watch the gauge. It should be in the 55 to 65 psi range when at cruising speed. At idle, it will drop to around 45 psi. I know you said, "not pump". So my question is how do you know it is not the pump? I'd also check the fuel pressure regulator. Also make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. I'm sure if you are having drivability issues, you are probably getting a check engine light. What codes is it showing? When was the last time you checked the cap and rotor????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA