Originally Posted by BobinNH
Has anyone here ever tried a series of cold bore, first shots,with their light vs heavy rifles, from various field positions,and watched where they go as opposed to shooting "groups" in a series of three or whatever?

And done it over a few sessions to watch what happens?

I know groups are wonderful things but can't recall the last time an animal hung around long enough for me to shoot a group on them.

It seems to me that's the only measure of "shooting well", from a hunting perspective,that really counts(?)

This is what I do. The two rifles are much different (although both .308) one being a Rem Mtn. rifle, bedded in an Edge, Rifle Basix trigger and a Leupold 2.5-8 CDS in Talley LW's. Never had it on a scale but it's light.

The other a Rem VSF, bedded in a H.S. stock, Rifle Basix trigger, Leupold 4.5-14 CDS also in Talley's. My loads will shoot equally well in either but the most accurate tend to be Scenar 155's.

I've shot both to 800yds (really hard to find a place to shoot distance here-that is "long range" for my area), off a bipod with rear bag. I've confirmed the range card for each rifle with each load I'll shoot and give them cold bore first shot runs and then groups of three. The only noticeable factor is both will print to slightly different point of aim if shot cold/clean bore.

It is easier to do "tight group" work with the VSF but keeping it on steel (vital area) is not difficult with the Mtn. And the lower magnification is not a problem to 800yds.

Golden............