Originally Posted by extremesolo
I know everyone gets tired of all of these cartridge comparison posts but I need someone to justify a new rifle for me. I currently have a model 70 XTR .264 and recently I have been considering buying a few standard calibers. Most of my rifles are not readily available at your local wal mart. I have been shooting nosler ammo (130 accubonds) from my .264 and I see that the 130 accubond from a .270 is only 25 fps slower. I am not currently a reloader so I am forced to shoot factory ammo. I can also buy .270 shells for considerably less than .264 ammo. Is there really any benefit to owning the .264 over the .270 when the vast majority of my shots are well under 300 yards. I am thinking of selling or trading my .264 for a nice .270 or even a .308. I think the .264 is a "cooler" cartridge but is there really any good reasons to keep it over the .270? I just read on here the other day that you have to be gay to use a .270 so that is one reason why I am not sure I want one I was just wondering if there were any other reasons? Thanks.

Under 300 yards there is no practical difference.

If you want cheap ammo, get a .308 or .30-06. You won't see any difference with them under 300 yards, either, except in your wallet.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/03/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.