Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

But as an elk hunter, I will always compare the 6.5mm 140gr to the 270 cal 150gr. As an elk hunter, I will also compare the 26 inch bbl 264 (if you're gonna run a overbore mag, may as well run the looong bbl) to the 270 22 inch bbl. The weight of the rifles, the recoil, and trajectories.
Yeah, let's compare.. I just ran two factory offerings through the Sierra Infinity-6 program.. The 150 gr Remington .270 vs. the 130 grain Nosler .264WM..

At 400 yards, with 200 yard zero, (just to pick one):

.270 Rem = 872.8 ft/# energy, and drops 27.49 inches

.264WM Nosler = 1375.1 ft/# energy and drops 21.85"

The 270 wins for a serious Rocky Mountain rifle.
In carrying weight only.. The heavier XTR will negate the increased recoil vs. the MT. rifle.. But I do agree that carrying a 5# rifle up/down major hills will be better than dragging a 7# rifle over the same terrain.. But as far as energy/trajectory is concerned, that lovely .264WM wins big..

Now, for your hunting back east, the 264 may be just the ticket.

Casey
It's especially the 'ticket' when shooting beanfield country.. smile smile

As nearly everyone knows, I'm a bit (well, maybe more than a bit) biased toward the .264.. Just thought I better make that note.. .. laugh laugh

The .270 was built around the 130gr bullet. Why do you use the 150gr to compare?

Plus, he said he doesn't shoot past 300yds. Your comparison put everything in favor of the .264.

Bottom line is the .270 will kill anything he wants to 300yds.
I used that bullet because that's what the poster said he used.. Trying to compare the two actual loads - the Nosler by the OP, and the 150 grain by alpinecrick..

Between those two, the 264 wins easily..

Ok, let's go back to 300 yards.

At 300, using those same two examples,

Rem = 1245 energy/2.9 drop
Nosler = 1595 energy/2.5 drop

Still favors the .264WM.... Again, just using the two versions of ammo specified by those two posters..

Inside 300 yards, no argument, each will do fine.. But once past that range, there's really not much comparison..

My point is, why trade down to a .270 when the .264WM will do everything the 270 will, and more..especially since he already has the XTR in hand..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!