Wooters and Van Dyke are both good places to start. I'm not familiar with the Cox book, but I just ordered a copy for $.75 from Amazon.

Wooters, it is said, invented the modern sport of deer hunting. As an editor for Field and Stream he certainly popularized it.

Van Dyke literally "wrote the book" on deer hunting.

Let me just make a confession here. I've got a bookshelf filled with outdoor books. Most of them I collected in the first 10 years of hunting. I read voraciously. When I started deer hunting, I figured that that I could research my way to success. It made sense at the time. I was a young urban professional, I had read my way to success. I figured I could read my way to a big buck.

The herds in those days were a lot smaller. I had to drive 3 hours to get to where I could hunt deer. It made sense to try and fill the days between visits to the woods with reading about them. In the end, I don't think it contributed all that much to my eventual success.

The best thing I can advise, 35 years down the road, is to get out and make direct observation of the deer. They are everywhere now, and it is far easier to get out among them than it was when I was getting started. Get some binos and hit the county parks, golf courses and cemeteries. When you are not directly observing them, get out and look for sign.

BTW: From now until leafing-out in April is usually the best time to scout deer, because the sign is easier to see. Remember that although the food sources, weather and such change constantly, the mechanics of deer movement do not. What you see in the dead of winter should give you a good idea.

The trick here is to learn how deer think, and how that thinking reacts to the environment. It is not what is written in books. My biggest revelation was that although deer are fairly intelligent, their intelligence is rather alien to ours. What we see as curiosity and fear and such are really quite different things in deer. However, it took years of watching deer to figure that out. In the end, it took throwing out most of what I had read in books to make me a successful deer hunter, and not just another schmuck in the woods looking to get lucky.

Having said all that, let me say that there is one basic truth in deer hunting. Find where they are bedding, find where they are feeding, draw a line between the two and hunt along that line. Where the hunter can find the most advantageous spot to see the deer without being busted, he will have the best chance of success.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer