resurrecting his post...

After getting through the holidays I took the car into the transmission shop. Its been there a coupe days and the guy called me yesterday with an update. He said he was sure that it was rear pinion bearings making the noise, but when he got into it they were fine. He has not done the front because he said the lift he needed was occupied by another car he wasn't finished with so we would have to return the car next week to look up front. Kinda hacks me that he wasn't prepared to finish the job when I made the appointment, but I understand things come up. Anyway, he is going to service the transfer care and see if there are metal shavings in the fluid before I pick it up today. He is also going to have another guy here in town look at it and see what he thinks.
Initially we talked about how the noise seemed to be coming from the front end but he said sometimes that can radiate from the rear up the drive shaft so that is where he looked first. I guess to take the front apart means removing the axle and entails more work. Either way, what do you experts think about what he is saying?
He is known as "the guy" around here so I believe he knows what he is doing. I just don't know all the different parts he is talking about.

Thanks

Oh... he is also doing the motor mount. Maybe that will solve the problem.

Last edited by jberry; 01/20/16.