It won't take long, I drilled and tapped the tail end of the receiver 5/16-24, cut and polished a carburetor stud to project about 3/8", bored about a 1/2" hole in the stock and bedded the stud with JB Steel.

Pulled the action out this morning and it worked perfectly. Nice and snug with no rocking front to rear, barrel is floated with plenty of room.

I did not bed the action yet, I wanted to make sure there were no issues removing the action with the stud in place so there is slight movement from side to side in the stock that I will correct later.

I checked the headspace, it measured .0457" with a caliper and that may not be as accurate as using the proper depth gauge, but close to the .0452" dimension I found online.

I will take it down again tonight and finish the clean and lube and work on the trigger.

Edit: I found a few homemade buffer pins including a nylon pin cut from a long bolt and what appeared to be a metal rod inserted into a piece of vacuum hose. I am sure I can find vacuum hose and steel or brass welding rod in the garage, I can find a nylon bolt easily.

What affect is the buffer tube material to accuracy if any?

Last edited by RDW; 01/26/16.

Dave