Originally Posted by HiredGun
I found accuracy in 10/22 and 77/22 rifles by epoxy fitting the barrel. For a release agent I use heat softened paraffin wax on a towel to apply to the inside of the action and the outside of the barrel. Once cooled I polish it back off. With the action mounted vertically in a vise butter up the barrel tennon and inside of the action with MarineTex. Then install so that it sits square on the shoulder of the barrel and let it cure overnight. Clean up the outside while it is still soft with Q-Tips. The inside will chip out cleanly once cured so leave it thick in there. Once cured and cleaned up nice install the V block lightly torqued to 20 inch pounds or so. Now the barrel and action will perform just as if it was threaded together as one. If you ever want to remove the barrel a little heat from a heat gun or propane torch with let it come right apart. At 300 degrees in my Cerakote oven it will come right apart.

This also cures the natural barrel droop the rifles experience when the barrel and action have a loose fit.

Another nice mod is to drill the rear of the action for a cleaning rod so it can be cleaned from the breech.

Sitting in a Hogue rubber stock my Green Mountain .920" barrel shoots 1.5" 10 shot groups at 100 yards with Stingers. Plenty good for ground squirrels. I switch to 17HMR after that.

I had a discussion on this very process and though a while back on rimfire central and I can't tell you how many folks thought I was an idiot for even thinking about trying it. Basically you've just made the barrel to the receiver fit an exact match. I couldn't get some folks to understand that concept. Glad to see I'm not alone in my thoughts.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!