The coyote story reminds me of another one from just a few years ago. I was with my dad and a close friend working on the friend's property in a machine shed. The friend lets another guy do some trapping and he drove up to show us a nice coyote he had snared. It was in the back of a pickup with a topper. He opened the back of the truck and we leaned in to look. As the trapper reached in to drag the coyote out (which was laying on its side)for a split second I remember thinking its eyes looked awfully bright for a dead animal...
He grabbed the coyote by the scruff of the neck and the back and swung it out of the truck to drop it on the ground. The coyote hit the ground, popped up and glared at us, then jogged away. Nobody said a word for a minute and then the trapper said "Well that's never happened before". We had a good laugh over that one.
The trapper had snared this guy, pulled him out of the snare limp and threw him over his shoulder and walked a hundred yards across the field with the 'dead' coyote over his shoulder. That could have gotten interesting...