I learned 30 yrs ago to check the eye!

Was on a deer drive - Yes we could legally use dogs.
Still, had to have big time safety rules: We (hunters) were dropped strategically off along an old logging road. Such that each hunter was at/in a low point along the road. This way there was a hill between each hunter so we could not accidently shoot one another. The absolute safety rule was that you DID NOT move from your drop-off spot until you were picked back up after the hunt.

I shot a 6pt. "Died" right in front of me on the road. Since it would be awhile before I was to be picked-up, I put my gun down and stepped over the back of the deer to cut its throat and let it bleed while I waited. Deer got up - Me on its back and ran down the road. I was holding on with both hands even with my knife in one. The ride was so ruff I couldn't let go to even to stab it must less cut the throat. All I could do was holler hopeing the hunter on the other side would hear me and not shoot us at the hill top. Luckily he did and I saw laughing about the time I fell off the deer. He was laughing so hard he did not even get off a shot when the deer and I had separated!

Was so embarrassed, all I could think of was to throw my knife down and holler that "I've had to get me a gun next time"! Latter that day he even offered to let me use one his.

grin

Ray