Originally Posted by Angus1895
Beautiful rifle? Why do the American. Or Kentucky long rifles have such an angle behind the hammer going down through the stock? Once again nice rifle!

Because back in their heyday, open sights were the only game in town, and position shooting that we are familiar with was unheard of. If used like they are intended, they are a treat. Try to adapt them to a "modern" approach to shooting and you will be frustrated.

That is indeed a very nice rifle, one I would be proud to own. I though wouldn't worry about scratching it up when hunting. I routinely use nice rifles that some would say belong on display, not in the deer woods. Well, in my trade I rely on a lot of 100 year old hand tools that have a burnished look with patina that can't be applied in a factory. Do I throw them around on the bench? Do I let them get rusty? Do I abuse them in any way? Nope, I treat them with respect, but I do use them, virtually on a daily basis, and they look as good as when I became their custodian. Same holds true for my guns.

I have dragged my handmade half stock rifle through some truly nasty thickets over the last 20 years, and there isn't a scratch on it. I guess it boils down to one's attitude...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty