Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 16bore

why should they be looking for 'little better' ballistics when many don't know what ballistics means??

Jerry

A titanium screwdriver is still a screwdriver. Same for rifles. 260's easily dupes/exceeds some 270 ballistics, and a 270 easily dupes/exceeds some 7Mag ballistics.

Most people aren't buying 'titanium' screwdrivers.

Remington TRIED to sell the 260 as you mention---the public does NOT buy it. MAYBE in 'some' applications with smaller mono bullets the 260 MIGHT outdo the 270 but I can give many instances where it CAN NOT.

In most NORMAL loads the 270 does NOT exceed 7 Mag ballistics.

I know we have new powders and mono bullets we didn't use to have but that's not apples TO apples.

You may buy it>>>>I don't

YMMV

Jerry

An ADDENDUM:

The buying public are NOT handloaders and so can not avail themselves of some advantages.

We handloaders are not given sufficient priority for them to supply US with brass, bullets, and primers for our needs.

The factory rifle mfgrs are not supplying rifles for US loonys and so TILL that changes our options are 'custom' or semi-custom builds.

Jerry

Pretty much what I'm saying. Joe Public loves his 270 with Corlokt's, my 260 with 108 Scenars smokes it from the muzzle to the dirt. A 270 with 140 NAB's against a 7 Mag with the same and only your barber will know the difference. Try 110 TTSX in a 270 and 120 TTSX and it's the same song. You can get run over by an empty dump truck or a full one but you won't know the difference. Trick is you gotta build you're own dump truck. I say if you've the time, have at it.

That's the point. Numbers don't lie and you know anyone handloading ain't duping some cheap off the rack factory fodder. Plenty of public buying 260's and Laupa brass is easy to find.

Now, if you wanna talk about a fella buying a few boxes of ammo a year, 260 ain't gonna be friendly as far as choice/availability. Odds are he wont know the difference anyway.