Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by Maybe
Thanks for all of the interesting replies. It remains odd to me that there is little market demand for a 24" .260 Rem...at least few offered. Remington doesn't offer many chamberings for this round in any conformation. Seems like a great little cartridge. It really makes more sense to me (Biased by living in the west and reloading) than many more popular rounds (.243, 7mm-08, 308, .270). Maybe I'm just bored and want something different?

I plan to surf around for a few months and see what turns up on the used market. I may try to build one out of a M700, but more likely, I'll try to find a Sako M85 Stainless Synthetic. At 22" and change, it's probably an adequate compromise. I like Sako rifles. The fit/finish on the ones I've looked at seems to be superior to most I see. I'm somewhat intrigued by Kimber, but the Montana's I've looked at were just so/so for finish and I'm not convinced they will be as accurate as a Sako or semi-custom Rem. The 12 twist would be a deal breaker if that's true. I will try to take a look at the X-bolt, but for whatever reason, I've never been crazy about Browning in the past.

Send ShortActionSmoker a PM and ask him if they still have any of the Superlight Tikkas in 260. I bought one back this last fall and love it. The barrel is 22 inches and change, but it is a great shooter and a pleasure to carry.

Good luck.

Perhaps Maybe wants to re-chamber the .260 barrel to 6.5-280AI ??
IFF the twist is tight enough, of course ;-)