had a nice mountainsmith. owner repossessed it.
so I went to replace it.
highly recommend REI. I went there, tried several 'large for a day pack' sizes. they have sandbags to test load it. they have a little pile of rocks or steps and ramps to test climbing on. I spend a good half hour, most of it with the pack I bought on and loaded.

put in all the sand bags that will fit. Or about 40 pounds I think. don and doff the pack loaded, walk around the store, climb the little practice structures, etc.

I ended up with a german designed pack from a colorado company that was made in vietnam. it is a Deuter. black and charcoal.

half the battle is finding one NOT colorful. This Deuter Act Trail 38 EL has nothing colorful on it. Includes rain cover. ammo pocket on the hip belt. VERY GOOD suspension/belt/straps. sternum strap.

drawbacks: my friends mountian smith had slightly more/better pockets, but had bright yellow bungee and zipper pulls.

I think I have used it (killed) at least 2 or 3 times and it performed exactly as expected. I put the backstraps and tenders in it (about the same as all the rei sandbags) and the binocular. bungee the wool sweater, wear the goretex shell unzipped, pack out or at least to wherever I left the plastic sled. plastic sled out the quarters later with light pack, no rifle.

I only shoot cows.

be careful with the 'hunter specific' packs. suspension can be lacking and its the most important part. take a boy scout or someone who has done a lot of backpacking with you if you haven't yourself. someone that has carried 40+ pounds for miles in a pack and knows where it should sit on your hips.