I prefer pants to bibs as they permit easier changing of layers and adhere to the body as well as bibs with good suspenders.

On how to waterproof woolens from Horace Kephart in 1917, Camping and Woodcraft,

"Simply make a solution of anhydrous lanolin in benzine (petroleum ether, not benzene!), soak the garment in it about three minutes, wring out gently, stretch to shape, and hang up to dry, shifting position of garment frequently, until nearly dry, so that the lanolin will be evenly distributed. This process is very cheap, and old clothing can be treated by it as well as new, without injuring buttons or anything else.

Cloth so treated permits the ready evaporation of sweat, and so may be worn without ill effects, no matter what the weather may be. In fact the perspiration escapes more freely than from plain woolen cloth, because the moisture cannot pentrate the fibers and swell them - the interstices are left open for air to pass through. And yet woolens impregnated with lanolin shed rain better than cloth treated by any other chemical processes. The goods are not changed in weight, color or odor. Instead of being weakened, they are made stronger. The waterproofing is permanent...

In buying, specify anhydrous (water-free) lanolin. Cloth treated with lanolin absorbs little moisture because water cannot pentrate the fiber and is repelled from the interspaces.

The strength of the solution to be used depends upon climate. For a hot, rainy climate use four ounces of lanolin to a gallon (U.S.) of benzine; for average conditions in the temperate zone, three ounces to the gallon; for cold climate, or winter use exclusively, two ounces to the gallon, as cold has a tendency to stiffen cloth that has been steeped in a strong solution...

If trouble is experienced in making a solution of lanolin, dissolve it first in a little chloroform, then pour it into the benzine."

I have had nothing but good experiences waterproofing woolens this way but do reserve it for outerwear only as some people are skin sensitive to lanolin. Don't know if I am or not but I only use it on garments that will primarily be exposed to the elements.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.