That is one of the hazards of plastic framed pistols; blow a case head in a 1911 or other metal framed gun and the gun usually survives; usually not with a plastic frame.

I agree 100%.
My first and only plastic gun.
The plastic is also what drew blood, the plastic IS what could cost you an eye or worse. It was scattered right around 25 feet in both directions from where the shot was fired. Our saving grace was the hay stack we were using for a rest, it shielded us from the bulk of the debris.

So - you bought someone else's handloads and fired them in your gun? That violates one of the primary rules about ammunition - don't use someone else's handloads.

I frequently see people selling their reloads, or grampa's reloads they found in the attic, and am always amazed when people buy it. IMO it's absolutely foolish to buy stuff like that, but you know that now of course.

I don't want to debate reloading, I know many have great results, I also know many are hesitant to share their failures when speaking of their experiences. I had one poor experience 30 years ago and decided then I had no reason to use them....until I got impatient having a new gun that I couldn't buy rounds for. At the time, I let the quality of the shop I was in give me confidence or an excuse to go against my better judgment. I'm a rather detail oriented individual, if I were reloading my own I'd probably feel completely different about it.