Originally Posted by huntsonora
...And if you could change anything what would it be? Are they spacious? Good in inclement weather? What's the draw?

I converted from a "traditional" tent to a tipi a few years ago and would never go back. I was hesitant to try a floorless shelter, but now I'm completely sold on the design. I love being able to walk in and out without worry of tracking in messes or taking my boots off. I just put down a ground cloth where I want to sleep and tromp around the rest as needed.

Mine has handled rain, wind and cold temps very well. I don't think you can get a more comfortable, heated shelter that can be packed in and out of the mountains comfortably. The stove requires pretty steady feeding (it runs about 30-45 min when loaded up) and will get the tipi too warm if you get overly ambitious.

The biggest drawback of the tipi design is usable floor space. In my opinion, an 8-man tipi and stove is perfect for two guys and their gear (plus firewood) to really spread out and be comfortable. You can easily sleep three people comfortably in the same tipi, but space for gear is much more limited.

I always thought it would be interesting to try a shelter made with the same material as my tipi, but cut in the mold of a wall tent. Six poles (two tall ones for each end of the shelter in the center and four shorter ones for each corner), two zip-up doors and a stove jack. It would certainly weigh more than a tipi, but I think you'd end up with a lot more usable space inside.