Nothing wrong with bringing a trap or two...SNAP!! in the middle of the night is nearly as satisfying as bagging the intended quarry.

Some people don't like it when mice scurry across their face at night. Can't figure out why.

I'm trying to remember something KC has recommended, that was actually useful to a backpack or Alaska hunter. Can't do it.

Sometimes, it's just wet. If you're getting dripped on, then there's probably a problem with the sloping, guying and venting of your shelter. Or, you picked the wrong shelter. Or you picked the wrong campsite. Or the wrong week to hunt that year...I guess that I fail to see how 10 lbs of sopping 4-season beats 3 lbs of appropriately sloped and vented yet sopping tipi when faced with 72+ hours of soaker mist or driving rain.

Another problem is that folks have with comfort in wet weather, is having some odd obsession with using puffy jackets for their only outermost insulation layer. They have their place being worn in that manner (rockies, east of cascades, much of AK). However, if it's really wet and tending to stay that way, unless you put fleece as the last layer against your raingear instead of the puffy (when not working hard) when it's wet out, then your puffy stuff will get and stay really wet and won't work as well as it could. A fleece zip or pullover roomy enough to be pulled over a puffy vest handily beats a super fashionable tailored athletic fit snug lightweight midlayer under a puffy sleeved/hooded jacket when worn under raingear in the wet. Remember that the wet will move from you and your baselayers to wherever dewpoint temperature is under the raingear. For fleece against raingear, that's right at the interface with the raingear. For puff against raingear, that's in the last little bit of insulation...

In other words, don't let Sitka or Kuiu or Rokslide or 24hrcampfire tell you what the right clothing system is for all occasions. 200-weight fleece with room underneath for a light puffy vest is VERY USEFUL in wet weather, and really isn't too bad an option in dry weather either.

Originally Posted by Shag
I like floorless when totally off the beaten path. IME if your going to set up in remote "sites" say for instance that see a lot of use along the Pacific Crest Trail or high mountain lakes that see frequent hikers expect mice.

Enjoy a stove. smile And some head room for getting dressed.

Last edited by Vek; 04/09/16.