Originally Posted by SWJ
Originally Posted by 260AIShooter
Lets see, I can legally hunt with a rifle chambered in 6X45 or a 30 Carbine or a 300 RUM, but I can't hunt with a with a 6.5X47 Lapua, or a 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem or a 7mm08 or 8X57 or any of numerous other chamberings. This new ruling makes absolutely no sense to me. I have plenty of rifles chambered in the cartridges that are legal. However the stupidity of this ruling is embarrassing. I suppose on the bright side I can finally use a real rifle.

Actually, what pisses me off as an Indiana hunter is that your statement in bold is incorrect. All of those cartridges are perfectly legal in a handgun. It amazes me there is so much backlash about "high power" rifles but there seems to be zero problems with a "high powered" handgun!

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

I would suggest the politicians and DNR simply apply the existing language defining case length and caliber for handguns to rifles.

Scott
Don't forget the lack of any restrictions if after coyote's or groundhogs.

I'm guessing the wierdness is due to it being a test. The DNR wanted to change the rules last year, but squeaky wheels got that stopped. So, some folks got a hold of a some supportive legislators and got this passed. It's a baby step, but a step in the right direction. I bet all rifles will be legal on private land in 2021.

Looks like I need to buy my oldest a 243 Win now!