Just finished watching old Survivor episodes at 10 pm with the dog and cat on the back of the couch above me. Both pets and I all jump up when we hear someone banging around on the front porch. Sounded like a heavy person ran up the steps and landed on the deck. Dog barking, cats eyes all bugged out looking outside, hair on my neck standing up.

Followed the dog out (armed of course!) and made the usual laps, but she never hit any scent or flushed anything. Searched the house when we returned, no bogeys indoors. We live on 5 acres in the country, nobody drove up the road, neighbors all good. No debris on the porch a raccoon would want, etc.

First time it happened was about 9 years ago wife and I both heard someone walking across deck, jumped up nobody there. Happened a few times since then, but honestly usually happens when I'm out hunting or some such, so figured it might be my wife's imagination. No mistaking this one though.

I have no explanation. Both pets heard it plain as day too. Ever happen to anyone else? Definitely heightens the senses.

LOL