They can be tenacious animals.

I fired my SOCOM over the weekend, no failures of any type and it seems like it wants to shoot fairly well. The OEM trigger is not the best for pure accuracy shooting, but I got in some good groups nonetheless. One thing about it, the big holes make the group look smaller...

The load I was firing is with a 300 grain bullet and H110. It seems that it wants to group, no nasty habits have surfaced. The 300 grain HPs feed out of a Pmag and I have tons of those, so that's nice to know.

I do have some GI mags to try the bigger bullets with, which I will eventually get around to, specifically 405 grain Jacketed and LBTs. I also have some Beartooth Piledrivers, but that may be too big, but it would satisfy some curiosity. I'm not wanting to go with a can, so sub-sonic is not an issue. I don't doubt that bullet at 1100 fps will still penetrate a bunch, though, but 1500 and some change is possible with the 405s, so....

I'll slug the barrel to figure out what size cast to use.

Just after putting it together, I had second thoughts about the collapsing stock, so it has an A2 stock on it now, waiting on an ACE skeleton. I thought I might also replace the Burris MTAC with a Leupold 1-4X20 VX-2, but the more I use the Burris, the more I like it.

All-in-all, the first outing with it was upbeat, I didn't come home having to figure a problem out and have a load that will work. I'll be changing things such as the handguards, possibly (probably) the trigger, and trying different bullets and powders. I have plenty for my .45-70 and the socom uses some of the faster powders such as 4198 for the heavies. H322 is probably too slow. I also have N110, 300MP, and Lil 'gun.