Okay that was a poor selection of a title. Here is my dilemma:

For my backpacking hunts I have SO Cimarron tipi that I am very happy with.

I am also the proud and happy owner of a 12x14 Davis wall tent (canvas). It is a high quality product and I use it for when I am going with a friend or two, or by myself for an extended of time of more than 3 days. It is a great tent but takes me about 45+ minutes to set up when I am by myself.

I like to do some short solo weekend trips of only 1-2 nights and I want something that is quick to setup and take down that I can use my stove in. I would like setup time to not exceed 10-12 minutes. I want to be have enough room for my stove, full sized cot, and a small folding table. I would also like to have some space to walk around. I was considering a 12x12 canvas Mountain Spike tent made by Reliable Tent in Billings Montana. This tent only has only 1 center pole with 2 foot walls and can be set up pretty quick. I have recently started looking at a SO tipi in the 8 man model and 12 man model. The good thing about this is I would not have to worry so much about rain and damp weather. The canvas tent would repel the water but would then need a lot more care afterwards to keep it from molding. Here are my questions for the tipi:

If I were staying solo would the 8 man model give me all the room I needed for having a full sized stove, full sized cot, and small folding table or would I need the 12 man model?

Since nylon fabric on a tipi is thinner does it retain the heat like a canvas tent? If the temps were down below 20 degrees would the tent be warm with a full sized stove?

Can I set the 8 man or 12 man up in less than 15 minutes by myself?

A canvas tent/tipi can have a life of 25+ years if properly cared for. How long will a nylon tipi last if used 6-8 times per year (without too much sun exposure)?

Would it be possible to have a mesh nest large enough that to put my cot in so that I would not have to worry about field mice in the night while I was sleeping?

Please also give the answers to any other question that I have not thought to ask.

Last edited by Calcoyote; 04/26/16.