Originally Posted by Calcoyote
If I were staying solo would the 8 man model give me all the room I needed for having a full sized stove, full sized cot, and small folding table or would I need the 12 man model?

Since nylon fabric on a tipi is thinner does it retain the heat like a canvas tent? If the temps were down below 20 degrees would the tent be warm with a full sized stove?

Can I set the 8 man or 12 man up in less than 15 minutes by myself?

A canvas tent/tipi can have a life of 25+ years if properly cared for. How long will a nylon tipi last if used 6-8 times per year (without too much sun exposure)?

Would it be possible to have a mesh nest large enough that to put my cot in so that I would not have to worry about field mice in the night while I was sleeping?

Please also give the answers to any other question that I have not thought to ask.

I have a Kifaru 8-man and I think it would be good for your planned use, save for the nest/floor question. I don't like floors in a tent with a wood stove and wood piles, for mice I just bring a few mouse traps and bait them every night.

The K-tipis are not what I'd call "fragile;" they are pretty stout actually. The main thing you need to worry about is UV exposure and holes from embers. I have no idea on the longevity question.

15 minute set-up time is about right.

As far as retaining heat, I don't think either fabric is really good at that and I never count on the tent to retain heat. After the stove goes out, I count on my sleeping pad/bag to keep me warm until I light the stove again in the morning.

Hope this helps.

A wise man is frequently humbled.