Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
KC, even without the shooting/hunting iron, I wish I could get my kit that light. As one's need for light weight increases, the value point on high priced gear gets lower and lower. Perhaps I should say the value point is inversely proportional to net vertical smile Most of my gear is cheaper and heavier, and it is a limitation for sure.

I often post about how much fun a person can have with lower-priced gear like the ILBE pack. It's tough to achieve very low weight that way, though.

Here, water is a complicating factor, because 9 times out of 10 there will never be any in the field. A gallon per day is just not enough here unless it is cold outside, which is rare.

Substituting Scotch, while appealing, is a net loss. Sadly.

Talus:

Yep, as the weight goes down, the price goes up. True. The cheaper your gear is, the tougher you have to be. I'm not tough at all any more.

I know about scarce water in AZ. I backpacked there lots when I was at ASU. I have some great campfire stories stemming from that era and scarce water. My wife and I use to enjoy driving our VW bug into the desert, then sit around a campfire and listen to the coyotes yodel. I have always loved that wild sound.

More recently, I have backpacked to hunt Coues deer in southern AZ. We hunted where there were some springs. Not only did we have water available but the springs are a magnate for the deer.

You're right again. A good single malt scotch is fun but a net loser of body fluids.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.