I'm no bow expert but I can tell you this, 4ager is dead right. You're hung up on the draw weight when there are a lot of other things going on with the bow's design that affect arrow speed.

Don't believe it? Explain to me why my brand new Elite Impulse draws the exact same weight as my twelve year old Hoyt Xtec, but the Impulse will bury the same arrow past the fletching into a target that the Xtec will only sink it half way. Again, both bows are set to 70 lbs at 28" DL. Both shooting the exact same set of arrows. My brother's old Bear can't even come close to either of them.

Edited to add: Actually, I just remembered something. When I had my Hoyt restrung, I had it set to a measured 69 lbs of draw weight. The Impulse was set to 67 at the same time. Both measured on the same weight scale and draw board.

So how is it that the impulse is launching those same arrows faster than the older bow which is actually drawing more weight? Clearly draw weight is only one aspect of the calculation. . .

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/01/16.