Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

There are a couple problems with using the 115 VLD in the .257 Weatherby. The lesser problem is that muzzle velocities are over the 3200 fps Berger recommends as maximum--especially with longer-barreled rifles with handloads that are "leaned on." They might even come apart in the air.

The other problem, which I've encountered in various Weatherby rounds, is the "freebore" (long throat) doesn't seem to help VLD accuracy.

Interesting. I've mostly used the target version of that bullet out of a .25-06, so that thought hadn't crossed my mind.

I hear you on the long throat thing, although I've managed to achieve pretty darn good accuracy in rifles where mag constraints required VLD's to be seated quite a ways off the lands. As such, I might be tempted to try the 115 in this case, but in general I would agree that those long throats aren't doing many favours for precision shooting.

While I've made some long pokes with .257" bullets, they certainly wouldn't be my first choice for a rifle that I knew was going to be used for hunting where a long shot was probable.