Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
You guys are right. It wasn't really failure. It was a success on at least four levels: (
1.) It's one more endorsement of my Northern Scratchbox turkey call. He bought it, but I didn't close the deal.

(2.) It's also a success in that I had figured out where he'd be, and the place I could call him to.

(3.) I got the second look at him even after I spooked him, and know he's still in the area. In fact, tied pretty closely because I accidentally bumped him the day before as well while trying to get in front of him. Problem was, he changed course.

(4.) And, I often say "Close counts only in horseshoes and turkey hunting." To have him at under 10 yards is pretty good, and really doesn't matter whether I killed him or not.

I switched strategies today and I think it might pay off in another day or two. I set up where he sometimes roosts. Around 7:30 I had two come in. One was a hen for sure. Later I saw a hen go into the field to feed. I cleared a path to the tree I plan to sit at. Weather should be good tomorrow, maybe Friday. We'll see. The season ends May 31, Tuesday.

One more thing. This isn't the second or third day I've been hunting this guy. I've been back about three quarters of the days since I filled my first tag on May 10. It's just that I've spooked him two days in a row. Today he got a little break from me, and I know where he likes to be. Maybe the tables will turn. Even if they don't, it has been a good season despite the fact that I've heard gobbles from the roost only twice all season. The turkeys have been acting like it's June.

Steve.

That's a helluva great attitude and strategy. I personally think you will succeed. Even if you don't end up killing it, you'll never forget the experience. Best of luck.

Steve

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5