Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by tzone
That's not a failure. That's a hunt!

Yes, it was. It gave me confidence I'd nail him in the next few days, but it never happened.

Originally Posted by tzone
I have to say, at 60yds, with my shotgun, I'd have taken a whack I think. The more I pattern the more I learn about my gun.

That said, I'd rather pop him at 25-30.

My personal rule is 35 yards. The longest shots I've ever taken were 40 yards and 42 yards. The 42 yard shot I mis-estimated. I thought it was 35 yards.

I prefer them under 30, but will not hesitate to shoot at 35. The closest I've ever passed on one was 15-20 yards. I don't remember why.

If I had shot at every bird I thought was 40-50 yards away I would have a lot more beards and spurs in my collection, but I would also have some misses and some wounded birds. That, I don't want to do. Therefore I'm conservative in my shot selection.

Steve.

Slightly OT, but when i was interested in calling turkeys, years ago, I ran 6 shot. It was deadly to 55 steps. Never lost a single bird or had to look for a single bird.

I don't get the idea of not shooting to your guns limits.

But I applaud you for knowing where your limits are and holding to them.

RE not gobbling, those were the fun birds you could hunt for days.

I've had some that would gobble now and then but never come to the call. Those were fun too.

Ended up calling a LOT of birds in with just my mouth and no call over the years too.

Seems once you figure them out somewhat, its more so of a strategy thing, rather than a calling thing at least to me, work out hwere they'll go or where they'll come seems like a lot of em will come regardless the quality of the call.

Worst call I've EVER heard in the woods was a live hen once....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....