Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I actually like shooting the M9. They run great, and are quite accurate. After adopting the M9, The USMC had to up the qual scores because the old standard based on the 1911A1 was too easily achieved with the M9.

I have a question, just an honest question. Do the current manufacture M92s have the Slide Capture Device on them?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, look for a circular disc on the left side of the frame sticking out above the left grip panel, and look for a groove milled into the underside of the left rear slide rail, for the disc to ride in.

If you see these features, they are designed to hold the rear half of the slide on the gun if it totally fails, saving your teeth. If the early M9 slide failures were a fluke, this slide capture device should no longer be needed.

Yes they do have the slide capture devise. And there was some fluke in the early slides failures, but some of it was legit. Some were traced to Italian slides that had the wrong steel; those were the majority of the failed slides that came completely off the gun.

But the other issue had to do with the fact that the Beretta 92 was designed for standard pressure 9mm, and at the last minute, the US Military adopted the British spec 9mma ammo that would become the NATO standard. So the Beretta 92's slide had to be revamped to accomodate the new pressure standard.

In all fairness, it should be noted that the NATO ammo caused a complete re-design of Sig's slides as well.

The slide capture device isn't really needed but why not keep it since it really doesn't hurt anything...and on the off chance that someone does break their slide, and decide "Hey let's see how long before the slide completely comes apart".