Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Got back from Kodiak a bit over a week ago. Had a wonderful 10 days with mostly decent weather to celebrate our anniversary and totally content to head home with just a great trip when on the last night to hunt we spotted our first good bear we had seen since the 3 we saw the day we landed at 6 pm and it was 2.5 miles away on the GPS. We beat feet over where we saw the bear go into the alders and not come out and found him in his bed.

Got within 180 yards and waited 10-15 minutes for the bear to get up. Finally it did and my wife shot once with her 308 win and it rolled twice down the hill into the alders and never moved.

The bear was just icing on the cake.

As for being over gunned I know Art is a fan of the 25-06 with the 80 grain TTSX, but my wife wanted a bit of insurance so we when a full 100 grains more and used a single 180 grain. wink

And still it was more gun than what water rats wife uses for all her bears in a 300 Savage.

I was a bit bummed I didn't get in on any follow up action as the once shot behind the front shoulder as it woke up from its nap to stand up rolled it up, but not that bummed when I found it rolled up in the alders when I went to go look for it.

Anyways, great trip and here is a pic:
[Linked Image]

Wow, very nice.