Originally Posted by bonefish
Given the info from MD, would the .284 Winchester not be a candidate for superior accuracy? Also seems like an ideal "middle buster" for all around shooting of hoofed critters. Close in ballistics to a .280 Remington and ticks most of the "accuracy" criteria. I rarely see the .284 mentioned other than the classic chambering of NULA's. The 6.5x284 is flashier but is known as an "over bore" cartridge.

MD, I think that I remember you saying that some folks report weird pressure spikes on some loads with the 7 Rem Mag. I'm I correct that you were my source on this?

I continue to remain convinced that my hunting enjoyment and successes, to date, would be identical if I had kept my first .270 Win as my only Big game rifle. I was ruined by discovering this website 😡

Again, getting back to my comment about the 4Bs. For many years, Winchester was the only company that manufactured .284 brass and for many years they used a single set of forming dies. Because of this, the brass was pretty bad.

That information comes straight from the lips of my buddy Melvin Forbes and the .284 was one of his most popular chambering in his ULA rifles. Anyway, Mel told me that ".284 Winchester brass needs LOTS of detailing before it will shoot to its potential."

I have absolutely no doubt that the popular acceptance of the 6.5X284 has changed that a lot and that the .284 Winchester is now an exceptionally viable cartridge choice.

Having said that, I'm not a great fan of rebated rims and the possibility of feeding malfunctions. So personally, I'd opt for the 7X308 Ackley (I hate the 7-08 nomenclature) and I've done precisely that. The 7X308 Ackley Improved fully equals the .280 Remington and I've killed oodles of deer and elk with the round.

Below is are a few critters I've zonked with the round.

Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397