The post by tarheelpwr looking for a 99 barreled action got me thinking about a laid-away project.

I have a 99F in .308 from around 1957 give or take. SN 905xxx, can't make out letter in boss code (uneven stamp). Receiver has most of its blue, a little carry wear. Barrel bluing in good shape. Stock is good, no cracks, does have sling swivels added. Problem is a pitted bore. Shifts point of impact around 4 to 6 inches at 100 yds from clean to fouled bore. Had to leave it fouled thru hunting season (which couldn't have helped the pitting!), starting to lose trust in cold bore first shot, so stopped using it. Picked up a take-off .308 99F barrel a while ago, but put it all aside.

So, maybe you smart folks can point me in the right direction. Options:
1. get the replacement barrel installed and see if it behaves and becomes a reliable shooter.
2. send it off to JES Reboring with the original barrel for conversion to .358.
3. sell it off.

If it matters, I have a 1923 vintage 99F in 30/30 that I use when I don't want a scope, and a Kimber Montana in .308 when I do. The Kimber replaced the .308 99F as my main deer rifle. Will also inherit a 1957 vintage 99F in 300 Savage when my father decides to stop hunting (hopefully not too soon).