Originally Posted by Dale K
Once it's fouled, does POI stay put? And is the accuracy acceptable? If yes to both, I'd leave it alone. I leave all my bores fouled after sighting in. I clean them after deer season is over.

Dale

Basically yes - it would take 6 or 8 fouling shots, poi would gradually move down and left, then it would start grouping. Could actually get 3/4 to 1.5 in 100 yd groups depending on ammo. Problem is I got to where I didn't even dare to run a dry patch thru a wet barrel after a day out in the rain or wet snow for fear of shifting poi. I actually used it for 10 or 15 yrs, sighting in in Sep and not cleaning until Dec. One thing you can pretty much be sure of is getting wet during northern zone/western Adirondacks deer season. If I cleaned the barrel, poi shifted. If I took off the forend to wipe out water poi shifted. Cleaning seemed to get harder, pitting probably got worse. Just lost my trust in it.

I leave any rifle I'm hunting with fouled after final sighting-in. But the ones with good bores take minutes to clean, vs days for this 99F. I got to the stage that I'd have to scrub the bore with a copper solvent (think I was using Hoppes Bench Rest at the time), let it sit wet overnight, clean and scrub, sit overnight, repeat for several days to get the bore clean. Got real tired of that.