Originally Posted by huntin_chic
Originally Posted by dogzapper

The Hornady Interlocked is a premium bullet at a non-premium price and at normal velocities (under 3,100 fps at muzzle) penetrates and kills wonderfully.

In fact, I used the 30/180 IL for my last loooong safari in Afrika ... killed 20+ head of plains game, including a 1,069kg (2,352-pound) eland. All kills were one shot ... dead right there.

Dodzapper,

I'm just curious what cartridge you used in Africa. That sounds like great bullet / cartridge performance! I've always had good results from Hornady as well.

I've been on two lengthy safaris, one to Zim and one to RSA's Northern Transvaal (near Beitbridge on the Limpopo). I used a .30-'06 both times; 180-grain Partitions on the hunt in Zim and 180-grain Hornady Spire Point Boat Tail Interlockeds on the RSA hunt.

The Partitions killed well enough on the first hunt and I finished the safari with one more critter than shots fired (picked up a Rowland Ward impala ram that was standing behind the one I killed) All one shot kills and the Partition surely did the job.

However, I wanted kills that were faster, so I shot the Hornady Interlockeds on the second safari ... I was not to be disappointed; twenty-three or twenty-four head of plains game with as many shots. Penetration was excellent, expansion was to about .75-inch and retained weight was on the order of 75%.

We live in the Golden Era of Bullets.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397