Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by djs
Those who voted for BREXIT tended to be older and less educated. Like in the US, these folks have been less prepared to the changes that have occurred with globalization (which is good for economic growth). One British commentator noted that the majority of those who voted for BREXIT) will live for an average of 16 years while those favoring remaining in the EU have an average life expectancy of 69 years remaining. Younger folks tend to take a longer-range view.

I believe that Britain will rue the day they took this vote. Already, several major manufacturers are discussing relocating to the continent (with the expected lay-offs in Britain) and several large corporations are making noises of relocating their corporate headquarters. Currently, Britain has the lowest unemployment rate (55) in the EU - this is expected to change over the next few years (upward).

We can only speculate the long term consequences of this vote, but it is not expected to be good.

I'm not sure what your sources are, but that runs counter to just about every astute analysis that I've read. As in 180 degrees opposite of what most economists think will really happen. Within a couple of months when everyone realizes that the sky won't fall, the UK economy will be buzzing. It will be an ideal spot for "european" corporate headquarters going forward as well, since it will no longer be bound by EU regulations.

The main "unintended" consequence will be that numerous other better-developed countries will run for the exits now also, in order to get on the gravy train that the UK will have rolling within a year.

The UK’s exit (not a done deal yet, the UK government has to formally file an Article 50 application to the EU), but we are in uncharted water. No one really knows what the long term result will be. Over 50% of the UK’s exports are to the EU; as part of the negotiations to withdraw, new trading agreements with duties will need to be negotiated. I don’t think the EU will look too favorably on the Brits and may tax their exports (to the EU) at a high rate. This will dampen demand and cause a slowdown on British manufacturing (i.e., a recession).

A number of corporations (including British financial institutions and others that deal in Euros and exports) are considering relocation to Paris or Frankfort. This withdrawal WILL cause an economic slowdown in the British economy; we just don’t know how much yet – it will take about 2 years for formal withdrawal and then we’ll see.