Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by moosemike
Southerners just like downplaying slavery and uplifting states rights which is their favorite issue because when you get right down to it slavery is indefensible. I don't blame the south for trying to paint it out of the picture.
"The truth is not always palatable and should not always be told"

Show me, EXACTLY, where in the Constitution circa 1861 that secession was barred to the states. You'll have to overcome the actually language in the states own votes to join the US to do that. If you can't, then you run up on the 10th Amendment.

After that, circa 1861 US Constitution, show me EXACTLY where slavery was prohibited. You'll run up on the actual Constitution and the 3/5 Compromise, too.

If you cannot show those things, then the facts remain that the actions by the Southern states were Constitutional and legal. Therefore, the actions by Lincoln and the Feds were neither.

Being a "re-enactor" doesn't give you any insight into actual history or facts. It'd be like claiming you were a scholar of the fall of Greece and Rome because your fraternity had toga parties. It's laughable, and even more so in the face of ACTUAL facts.

The South had a Constitutional right to secede. I never said they did not.